Sunday 23 May 2010

Science Fiction & Fantasy Translation Awards, 2011


I was pleased and interested to come across a website about the 'Science Fiction & Fantasy Translation Awards' whose mission is to 'bring quality translated fiction to the English-speaking world' (thus bringing together two of my favourite things!). They were announced in October 2009 at the World Fantasy Convention and are still at the preparation stage, planning a first round for 2011 if they raise enough funding. They have a nice blog about translated fiction, mostly of the sff persuasion, and a suggestions page for possible titles for the first year's awards (titles published in 2010).

It seems to me a shame not to fish a bit further back for the first year's awards, but that's because I'd like to have suggested Andrzej Sapkowski's The Last Wish, published in English in 2007, and Tatyana Tolstaya's The Slynx, published in English in 2003, both of which I read with no knowledge of Polish and Russian respectively, and liked very much. (I suppose it might be pushing it to call the Tolstaya book sff, but it's post-apocalyptic fiction, if not, strictly speaking, speculative.)

I'd be curious to hear from anyone who might have suggestions of sff they enjoyed in English translation, or recommendations for sff not yet translated into English...?

No comments: